Tuesday, October 19, 2021

'SHADDERS. ON ME LUNGS.


Was watching 'Alfie' late last night again for the umpteenth time.  The Michael Caine version obviously.
It's one of my favourite movies and I watch it on a fairly regular basis.
It's actually pretty uncanny just how many of my favourite films that have Michael Caine in them.

It never gets old and some of the subject matter is still pretty relevant even today.
It does irritate me a little that it's often described as a Comedy?
Yes, it is pretty funny at times but at other times it reaches some very dark places especially considering it was made in 1966.
The abortion scenes are as disturbing and unpleasant now as they were then.  How they made it past the censors in 1966 is another matter.
I take something new from it every time I watch it.  Life lessons for all.  
The fact that Alfie becomes a sad, pathetic figure at the films end was a brave choice considering what had come before.
I did watch it on Laserdisc.  The format of choice.

Also good that Carter USM used samples from it throughout their 2nd album '30 Something' and the young Julia Foster was stunning.

No comments: